Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Mr. & Mrs.

Look up. Not all the way up. Lower. Too low. Good, right there. The subtitle of my blog. See it? "Life as a modern day June Cleaver." For the most part, my life is my babies. And that's what you read about in my posts. But there is more. For one, there's Neil. My darling husband. And there's, well, me. This post is about us and what is going on with us these days.

Let's start with Neil. He is doing great. Still working on that independent study for his Master's program. It has somehow followed us into the summer. What has he learned from it? If anything it has taught him to listen to his wife when she says something like that is a bad idea and more work than he was thinking it would be. Oh well, lesson learned. He still loves his job and has somehow become what I call a work-a-holic. He comes home from work and immediately logs onto his work email. What does he love even more? Coming home to his kids who greet him by running to the door and right past him as they hurry up the stairs shouting "We're gonna beat you!" They of course mean to our bedroom so Neil can change out of work clothes. From there they all giggle and play for the rest of the evening. I'm not sure where it comes from but Neil always comes home from work with a ton of energy to play with the kids. We usually make dinner together and if it's nice out eat outside on our awesome new patio set that sits on the fab deck he and my dad built last summer. After the kids' bedtime Neil and I always stay up together for at least an hour and a half watching our shows, LOST and 24. Both of which had their series finale this week. We spend this alone time together every night. We lose close to 2 hours of sleep because of it every night. And I look forward to it every night.

And me. I've been super busy lately. In addition to wearing my super-mom cape daily, this is my scoring season. Every spring I score standardized achievement tests from home for at least 20 hours a week. So if the children are eating or sleeping, I am scoring on the computer. This is my 5th year doing it and I'm grateful for this job. The extra money always comes in handy and you can't beat the "make your own hours" schedule. In what very very little free time this leaves me I have gotten involved in the community. I am on a committee that is planning a big event that will help raise scholarship funds for the local community college. Volunteering my time is something I have talked about doing for years. I am so happy and so lucky in life that I want to help other people feel the same way, and I'm really excited it.

And I almost forgot. Our house. Yes it is still on the market. And obviously it hasn't sold yet. For whatever reason God still has us in this house. So we have decided to leave it on the market but are not being as aggressive in trying to sell it, meaning no weekly open houses anymore, just showings as people wish to come through. So between that and the little St. Joseph statue buried in our front yard, if it sells, awesome....we'll jump for joy, call in all the "we'll help you move favors," and send out smoke signals proclaiming it is sold. If not, it's okay. We are happy here and will push hard again when we have more time on our hands.

I think that about wraps up what Neil and I have been up to aside from raising three BEAUTIFUL children. We will now return to our regularly scheduled program (posts about the kids).

"Well you know, we're doing what we can." The Beatles

No comments: